Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Looking Back - The Fabric Store Incident

Long ago in a galaxy far far away (...or two years ago when my only child was Green Boy)...

Two year old Green Boy and I went to the local fabric store to purchase Halloween costume supplies.  My very good friend, Turquoise, was going to be a Pink Flamingo.  I offered to make her costume mimicking some pictures I had found on Etsy:


Pink Flamingo Burlesque Costume Las Vegas Showgirl custom Made costume 4U
Idea courtesy of sajeeladesign (Etsy seller of gorgeous costumes!)

In case you were wondering, Turquoise is the epitome of female beauty.  She can totally pull this off.  I had a lot of "saleswoman reassuring" ahead that I was not the one attempting to wear what I was making. I would look like a cow in this costume.

It was my first trip to the fabric store in a while, and this particular store is a crafter's dream.  It is an enormous warehouse space chock-full of everything one could want if they were into creative textile-ing.  Unfortunately, little boys are not often crafters, at least not the type that are impressed by the magnitude of selection available to them at "Crafters World" (pseudonym).

I needed some lace applique and a rhinestoney-broach-like thing that were kept behind a counter.  I had a cart and Green Boy had been placed in it and was threatened with all sorts of dreadful scenarios if he was so bold as to leave it.

http://marvellousmoandme.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/boy-shopping-cart.jpg
accurate representation of Green Boy in the cart...

Unfortunately, the employees were MIA.  I waited at the lace counter for about 15 minutes without seeing anyone.  I was able to entertain myself among the sequins, lace, rhinestones, feathers, tulle, fishnet and satin but Green Boy was growing impatient.  Finally...FINALLY...an employee was able to help me.  Foolishly thinking that Green Boy was actually impressed by my previous threats, I devoted a mere moment's worth of attention to the woman offering to help me find what I needed.

Then it happened.

Green Boy was not in the cart.

In a panic I looked frantically around the store.  It is difficult to find a toddler amongst racks and racks of fabric bolts.  Finally I saw him!  But it was too late. :-(

Green Boy had accosted someone's mobility scooter.  He was driving it.  Away from me.  Very quickly.

Man builds world's fastest mobility scooter

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKK!!!!!

Luckily, I did not scream "Fuck!"  I did scream, "No Green Boy!  NOOOOOO!!!!  STOP STOP STOP!!!" as I sprinted after him. This did absolutely no good, except to draw everyone's attention.  I don't think he understood what propelled it forward, much less what would make it stop.

The scooter hit a steel door and ricocheted off to the side.  I arrived on the scene split seconds later, prepared to read Green Boy the riot act.  When I saw the complete terror in his eyes I was only able to scoop him up and give him a hug.  He sobbed and sobbed.  I tried to soothe and reprimand at the same time - an awkward combination.  The sales woman who was helping me had completely disappeared.  Another one heard the ruckus and came to see what the problem was.  I unintelligibly said something about being 'very sorry' and 'whose scooter was this?' and 'ohmygodwhatcanidotomakeitbetter!!!'  She gave me a look that said "you crazy fool, just control your damn kid" and disappeared.

http://lpease.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/mothers-disapproving-241x300.jpg
Control your damn kid!!!!
Green Boy maintained a meek disposition for about three minutes and then was back to his original ancy behavior.  I stayed just long enough to purchase the supplies and left the store in complete and utter parenting shame.

Later, I purchased a leash for Green Boy so this would never happen again.

Fingers crossed.

Recognize.



No comments:

Post a Comment