Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Diet Soda Addiction

I love diet soda.  I love it I love it I love it!!!  Too much.  Way too much.  I would blog how many ounces of this "liquid gold beverage of ultimate yumminess" that I drink in one day...but that would be embarrassing.  Suffice it to say, I have a problem.  We can leave it at that.

Or we could, until I had kids and the following conversation occurred last week:

Green Boy, Green Girl and I are driving home from work/school.  It is dark.  I am exhausted.  McDonalds has 32 ounce sodas for $1.  Obviously we are making a McDonald's pit stop on the way home. (Obviously.)

Green Boy:  Momma, please don't drink diet soda anymore.  Momma, PLEASE don't drink diet soda anymore.  MOMMA, PLEASE DON'T DRINK DIET SOOOOOOOOOODAAAA ANYMORE!!!

Green Momma:  Green Boy, if Momma doesn't drink it she will fall asleep driving home.

(pause)

Green Momma:  Why don't you want me to drink diet soda? (I cringe and brace for the answer - my guilty conscience knows this isn't going to be good.)

Green Boy:  I don't want you to go to heaven yet.

----------------------------------

Wow.  Crap.  Big sad face.

I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that.

Long story short...healthy and unhealthy eating habits had been discussed at Green Boy's school that day.  Diet soda was given as an example of an unhealthy eating habit.  Green Boy regaled his classmates and teachers with information on exactly how much diet soda his mommy drinks and how often she drinks it.  Everyone was shocked.  He knew details I didn't even consciously recognize. I do now. Sigh.

And thus begins yet another attempt at cutting the most delicious beverage in the world from my life.  I recognize the problem, but I am allowing myself to be in denial.  Just for a few more days. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment